Find out what we've been up to!

Thursday, November 2, 2006

Keegan's Birth Story

I had my 40 week appointment on November 1st. I went in to see what was going on. If nothing was happening they were going to set up a date to induce. I got in there and she checked me out. I was dilated to 5 cm. She asked if I had been feeling any contractions or anything. I hadn't. She tried to stretch me out a little further to see if we could get things going. I went in and got hooked up to the non-stress test machine. I had one contraction right after I was hooked up to it, but I didn't really think it was anything. I was hooked up to the machine for 30-45 minutes. Nothing was really happening. The nurse practitioner asked me if I could fake being in pain or something so they could send me to the hospital. She left to call the doctor who was on call at the hospital and explained what was going on. She came back and said that if I went down to the hospital he wouldn't send me home because of how far I was dilated already. So we left the clinic excited and scared!

It's a good thing that I already had my bags in the car. I was hoping they would send me straight to labor and delivery! We decided since it was rush hour time that we would wait a little while before heading downtown. We drove to the church so Jerran could get his laptop and a few other things. We stopped into Chris' office to tell him what was going on. After we left the church we went to get something to eat. I decided it was best if I didn't really eat a whole lot, I didn't want it coming back up during labor. We went to get smoothies and a burger for Jerran.

Traffic wasn't too bad on the way to the hospital, most of it had died down. I was having a few contractions in my back on the drive down there. I was hoping that they would just keep going for me!

We got all checked in to the labor and delivery. We had a new girl training at the front desk, so even though we were there a few days before with a false alarm of my water breaking it still took a while. I'm glad I wasn't in any pain!

I got hooked up to a monitor again to see what was going on. They got me all hooked up around 6:00 pm. I had a few mild contractions off and on. Nothing too bad, I felt it in my back for the most part. Two hours and a nurse change later I was told that there really wasn't anything going on and she was going to discharge me. I wanted to cry. I didn't want to be sent home. I was so ready for this to happen. Plus, I was already dilated to a 5! I didn't want to be an hour away from the hospital. We kept watching the monitor for contractions, then all of a sudden the screen started flashing --ADMIT PATIENT- YAY!!!! The nurse came back in and told me they would just keep me and break my water!

We finally got settled into the labor room around 9:00 pm. Since I had tested positive for group B strep, I needed 2 bags of IV antibiotics before they could break my water. They had started the first bag and then the company started showing up. Ally and Marcy and been shopping at a Target nearby since I called and told them we were heading to the hospital. Chris, Kristi, Josh, and Brandon all came together. It was a good time in the room. After they hooked up my second bag of antibiotics, everyone cleared out to go eat in the waiting room and I tried to sleep for a little while. That didn't happen. I called Jerran back to the room around 12 am, I was bored and couldn't sleep. Everyone came back in to keep me company. I was still having random contractions. The guys thought it was fun to watch the monitor for contractions and ask if I had felt them!!

Finally at 2 am the doctor came in to break my water. She used a long hook but that wasn't really working, so she used her hand. Soon after that, it wasn't much of a party for me anymore! I felt shaky not too long after her breaking my water. The contractions got hard right away. They were strong and close together in no time at all. All the guys vacated at this time except Brandon. He hung out for a little while longer. I was more comfortable on my knees leaning over the bed. They couldn't keep track of Keegan's heart rate that way though, so they came in to put an internal monitor on his head. After the doctor did that she said, "I didn't see much hair on that head."

The contractions were so strong and close together. Jerran stayed right by my head the entire time. Marcy, Ally, and Kristi were getting me everything I needed, from ice chips to a cold washcloth. Everything from here on out was a blur. The nurse came and asked if I wanted something in my IV to take the edge off. I agreed. I had to sign something for some reason, I think it had something to do with if I decided I wanted an epidural, it would already be signed. I got a couple shots of something in my IV. It was pretty much like extra strength Tylenol. The first few helped some and I was able to rest in between contractions. But the next few didn't do anything.

A little before 6 am the nurse checked me and told me it was time to push. She tore down the bed pretty fast. I think I had been ready for a little while. I got in a few practice pushes before the doctor came in. As his head was crowning I heard Marcy say, "She was lying, he has hair!" I pushed for about 20 minutes and he was out.

They put him on my stomach right away. Jerran got to cut his cord. It was amazing. I was so tired and out of it, I couldn't believe what was going on. Everyone left right away so Jerran and I could bond with Keegan. They took him to clean him up and weigh him while I was being stitched up.

Keegan Josiah
Thursday, November 2nd, 2006 @ 6:00 am
7 pounds 7 ounces
19.25 inches long
14 inch head

No comments: